Jools Holland Yesterday, ZZ Top Tonight!

Home Forums Public Forums Off topic Jools Holland Yesterday, ZZ Top Tonight!

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Maddad 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Maru
    Admin / Referee

For any rock & roll fans on the server:

Yesterday I saw the Boogie-Woogie king; Jools Holland (He was in a band called Squeeze).

Totally different band today; ZZ Top.

Jools Holland:

Maddad
    Admin / Referee

No way… ZZ Top, those guys are older than me haha. Please post some pics if you can , would love to see how they are looking these days. I saw them back in the 70’s in Vancouver once.

Maru
    Admin / Referee

The best t-shirts had sold out 🙁

Hope they play:

gimme all your lovin

sharp dressed man

la grange

jesus just left chicago

Maru
    Admin / Referee

They played everything I mentioned above and more.

They played I’m Bad, I’m Nationwide and Jailhouse rock.

2 rounds of encores,

2 long beards,

Lost the voice a bit but played great.

Will send some pictures when i get home.

I will miss Kiss tomorrow, known for the black and white face paints, wish I was seeing that.

Maru
    Admin / Referee

These guys have been going some 50 years now and they can still rock!

Maddad
    Admin / Referee

Man, they look the same, just a little more grey in the beards. That is so cool that you got to see them. They have been around a long time.
    I saw kiss back in the day, they put on a good show back then, but they weren’t my fav. I saw Led Zeppelin 4 times though, including the first time they played Vancouver.It was an epic concert and they were on tour debuting the first album….. Dazed and confused was about an hour long, and it took me a week to come down from that…. Zeppelin always came to Vancouver when they released a new album.
    I also saw Hendrix play in Vancouver, one of the first concerts I ever went to with my friends. We were lucky when we were young, most of the big bands of the day would usually play Vancouver once a year it seemed, and we saw as many of them as we could. No ticket Master or scalpers either, just show up at the entrance, pay and go in. I think I payed $7 cdn for Led Zeppelin, my mom had a fit, thought it was outrageous lol.
    Thanks for the cool memories too, Maddad

Maru
    Admin / Referee

Really wish I could see Hendrix… Like so much… (poster below)

ZZ Top members were once offered $1 million each to shave their beards on a TV commercial, which they declined…

A stand out live album for me from Vancouver is The Doors Live In Vancouver 1970, “Light my fire” is 17:55 long, “The end” is 17:57…That’s progressive rock…

Trying to see as many 70’s bands as I can before they stop touring. I like Kiss but only know a few songs, but I just want to see these people because time is running out. Would like to have seen Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Nirvana, AC/DC, The Doors, Guns N’ Roses, Stevie Ray Vaughn, BB King Albert King etc. The other music I really like is Jazz, this is is a problem for live shows, I am lucky to have seen Herbie Hancock live and will be seeing him once more this year. Would liked to have seen Miles Davis, Ella Fitzgerald, John Coltrane, The Crusaders and some others but the Jazz period was before rock.

ZZ Top were easy crowd pleasers, didn’t talk much but played loads of their top songs. Steely Dan was a bit different. They didn’t play; Do It Again, Riki Don’t lose that number (don’t think they played reelin’ in the years either) Which are the top 3 songs by Steely Dan, I heard online some bands/people get bored of playing the same stuff each time. Very happy to have seen so many bands so far.

Hoping to see Ozzy Osbourne + Judas Priest (warm-up band?) next year with my dad. Even if it’s not the best concert, I would regret not going. Other than that not much is still on in London.

Did you meet any of the rock stars in person? I know Gene Gallagher (Oasis Liam Gallagher’s son) from Y12 of school, he got expelled… My dad met Nancy Sinatra at the New York Film Club a long time ago.

Other than that I have some classic album posters from dark side of the moon, machine head, Giant Steps (jazz).

This is the only one I actually bought:

Maddad
    Admin / Referee

Ya, I missed the Doors when they came here, can’t remember why, they were another of my favs and I heard it was an excellent show. I did see Pink Floyd, Emerson Lake and Palmer (which was an unbelievable show in the day) Alice Cooper (it was their first tour) BB King and many others. Black Sabbath did a great show too back then, but Ozzie has put the age on, I hope his show is done well now and not just a make a few more bucks showtour.
    Creedence Clearwater was another awesome show, the old coliseum was just shaking when they played here, they always had a huge audience, and great audience participation in the music. Suzi Q was about 45 min long at one of their shows I was at.
    The only band member I really knew was the drummer from Bachman Turner Overdrive. His name was Robbie Bachman and he was the younger brother of Randy Bachman. He lived on a big acreage in the country with a nice small mansion, barn and horses.He was a super nice dude, and I got to meet him through a friend who lived close by. I was about 20 something then and had just finished my electrical apprenticeship. I ended up doing a lot of work for him around his farm, doing it on the side on weekends. He did have one hobby that was interesting, he was an avid gun collector and had a huge amount of weapons, both new and old (pre WW2) all in good working order. There were a couple of times when we were talking with him at lunch that he’d offer to show my friend and I some of his collection. That always led to us getting a chance to fire them (he had his own firing range on the property)
    We thought it was really cool and that was my first experience with weapons other than hunting rifles.I worked off and on at his property for about a year, and then as the band became more famous and popular I saw him less and less. I Haven’t seen him since that year, but it was a good experience and something I wouldn’t forget.

Maru
    Admin / Referee

Ozzy’s voice is long gone.

Guns aren’t common in the UK… Police here don’t want any weapons or knives, knife crime isn’t good here. Alice Cooper is playing here with the stranglers in October so I might see that.

Haven’t heard of the drummer you mentioned.

I only know Fortunate son by Creedence Clearwater and only know If you can’t give my love by Suzi Q.

I still have lots of music to discover…

Maddad
    Admin / Referee

Take your time and enjoy it along the way. There is so much out there now, I wouldn’t know where to start.
    Canada has tight gun regulations too. Not impossible to buy them, you have to take required courses and there is a rigorous security screening process. Its nothing like it is in the US and I like it like that.
    Checkout Bachman Turner Overdrive if you get a chance, they made some good driving tunes in their day. ‘Taking care of business’ is one that comes to mind. Trooper was another local band that did well, they started on the nightclub scene in Vancouver and had a couple of hits in the 80’s. Good driving tunes too.
    Btw, Randy Bachman was in the original Cdn band ‘The Guess Who’ they were big in the late 60’s and early 70’s
    Youtube is an endless supply of music, and its always downloadable too.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.